Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My very elderly cat who lives in a flat has today started acting

My very elderly cat who lives in a flat has today started acting strangely she seems unable to walk properly and is just sleeping she is very wobbly on her back legs and doesnt seem to have any strength she has managed to eat and drink once by me bringing it to her. she is approximately 19 years old
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Peter :

Welcome and thanks your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply .

Dr. Peter :

1- Was she having problems with her legs before?

Dr. Peter :

2- Is she able to support weight with her back legs?

Dr. Peter :

3- Is she drinking more than usual?

Dr. Peter :

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Customer:

No she wasnt having any problems with her legs before today, she doesnt seem able to support her weight with her back legs, she is not drinking more than usual in fact less and no she doesnt have any pre exsisting medical conditions she just very old

Dr. Peter :

Can you feel if the back legs feel colder than the front legs?

Customer:

they feel about the same

Dr. Peter :

Friend, there are many conditions that can cause the lost of function in the back legs of an older cat. It will be difficult to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination. But, common causes are:

Dr. Peter :

1- Arthritis of the hips, spine or both.

Dr. Peter :

2- Weakness secondary to a systemic disease like: kidney or liver disease, infections, etc.

Dr. Peter :

3- Hormonal disorders: Patients with diabetes can develop neuropathies interfering with the motor function of the back legs.

Dr. Peter :

In this case, to determine the exact underlying cause she will need a hands on examination by family veterinarian. In the meantime, offer her a bland diet of rice and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef. If possible, blend the food and force feed her small amounts 4-6 times a day with a dropper.

Dr. Peter :

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter