Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

my 20 year old cat cant be taken to the vet , I have spoken

Customer Question

my 20 year old cat cant be taken to the vet , I have spoken to a vet previously who suggested she may have hyperthyroidism , she has recently started meowing more often and wondered if I can buy a medication cat without a vet seeing her
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

& welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now if Caley potentially has hyperthyroidism, it would be best practice to have her seen so that a blood test can confirm this. This is especially important since the medication is prescription (therefore cannot be legally dispensed without a vet examining her in person) and wouldn't be advisable to use unless we knew she had thyroid disease (since the tablets won't help any other condition and could cause health issues if given inappropriately). And I would note if she is cat that cannot be taken into her vet, you can request that her vet come to her via a house visit. This would allow you to get her seen, get her tested, and be able to give her the best care possible.

Furthermore, if she is vocalizing more often, I would be concerned that she also has high blood pressure. This can be related to thyroid disease but also a sign we see with kidney troubles, heart disease, and also on its own. Therefore, it would be advisable to have her vet check a blood pressure as well. If she does have one of those underlying health issues, then the blood pressure may settle with treatment of the primary issue but some cats needs this treated as well.

Finally, just since you noted that taking her to the vet would be a struggle and thyroid disease is suspected, I will note one safe over the counter option you could consider here. Specifically, there is a thyroid management diet by Hill's known as Y/D (More Info). It is a diet that limits iodine intake and therefore prevents the body from overproducing thyroid hormone (the basis of the disease). This is a safe option to use without having her seen, as it can control the disease (if present) and would do no harm (if not). That said, if you were to trial this diet with her, do be aware that she can only have this diet to keep her thyroid stable (so no treats, tid bits, etc).

Overall, there is no medication disease available over the counter. This is because treating inappropriately could potentially do more harm then good. That said, if you wanted to try something at home first, the Y/D diet would be a safe option to do so. And if she didn't respond to it (and therefore the other concerns are more of a worry), then you can request your vet come to Caley so that she can be examined and treated in the comfort of her own house.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will look into the y/d option .

My cat when she fell off our balcony 5 foot not high but too high to jump up , bit and scratched my fatherlaw who is 90 and lives with us and the cat years , he got infected and required treatment . When I explained this to the vet he said that even a home visit would be too risky parties as the cats heart may not take it at 20 and that the home visit would be only when she was going to be put to sleep.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
again Frances,

I have to say that I cannot agree with what the previous vet has said regarding home visits. I see a number of elderly hyperthyroid cats in their homes (even sample) and because we take things calmly with the cats, we don't tend to have issue. That said, if your local vet has declared this (as he is legally treating your cat), then you can discuss whether he feels that he can dispense prescription drugs without proper testing (where I can only advise you of best practice and safe choices ). But in any case, I would still say that the Y/D option is the safest and most straight forward if she isn't a cat that can be examined or her vet isn't keen to come to her.

Please take care,

Dr. B.