Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

there About five weeks ago, my 18mo Burmese cat developed

Customer Question

Hi there
About five weeks ago, my 18mo Burmese cat developed raised third eyelids - and flatulence! We took him to the vet. He had no temperature so they felt it was a mild virus and gave eyedrops (as one of his eyes had some discharge), prescribed a probiotic and told us to feed him a bland diet. Apparently his abdomen was bloated and his stool seemed soft, but it's impossible to know if he's had diarrhoea because he goes outside. He seemed well in himself - good appetite and energy - and eventually the eyelids started to go down so we didn't worry too much. However, in the last day the third eyelids are up again and he's flatulent once more. As before, he's eating normally and playing etc as usual but I'm really wondering what's going on with him. Could he have a food intolerance? We give him Royal Canin went food and a couple of natural brand wet foods (James Wellbeloved and Lily's Kitchen), and occasionally some Applaws grain-free dry. He does go into other cats' houses through their cat flaps so we can't be sure he isn't helping himself to their food, but as far as we know the neighbours don't feed him.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Rebecca :

Rebecca :

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your cat.

Rebecca :

I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

Cats will have the third eyelids partially cover the eyes when they have intestinal problems, worms, diarrhea. Was he tested for worms when he had this problem the first time?

Customer :

I don't think worms were mentioned - although he does get wormed regularly. Most recently in October, I think...

Rebecca :

Tapeworms can cause the third eyelids to "prolapse". Most over the counter wormers will not get tapeworms; you need special medication. What do you use to worm him?

Customer :

I don't know, to be honest - something we get from the vet.

Rebecca :

It would help to get a stool sample, to see the consistency, color, look for the presence of blood, examine microscopically.

Customer :

Okay, so should we do that and take to the vet, ideally? He goes to the loo outside so will be quite difficult but we can try!

Rebecca :

Yes, I would try to take a sample to the vet. I would also ask your vet if he has been wormed for tapeworms specifically.

Rebecca :

If you can't find a sample outside, you could have your vet collect one from his colon.

Customer :

oh dear, he yowled the place down last time he had his temperature taken!

Rebecca :

It could be related to something he eats, as well. Since he roams, it would be hard to control everything he eats!

Rebecca :

It is impossible to keep him indoors with a litter tray until you get a sample?

Rebecca :

Some outdoor cats just won't use litter.

Customer :

We know a neighbour feeds him and other local cats Dreamies...Realistically, it would be quite hard to keep him in - he's very energetic and demanding and is quite hard work if he's not allowed out! He used to use a litter tray with no problem and still would, probably, if he had to, but would favour the flowerbed. Do you think a worm is quite likely given the symptoms?

Rebecca :

I think starting with some tapeworm medication (praziquantel) would be a good place to begin, since third eyelid prolapse or "Haws syndrome" is known to happen in cats with tapeworm.

Rebecca :

It is nearly impossible to keep a cat in that is used to going out.

Customer :

I'm interested that the eyelids did start to go down and haven't been as bad for the past week or so - and also he eats really well - I suppose this doesn't rule out a tapeworm necessarily?

Customer :

The eyelids were up again yesterday and that was when we noticed the flatulence too

Customer :

they definitely seem to go hand in hand!

Rebecca :

Yes, prominence of the third eyelids is know to be associated with intestinal problems: worms, viruses, etc. They are most likely connected.

Rebecca :

If it is from something he is eating, it will be hard to do anything about it, if your neighbor is putting out cat food.

Customer :

Well, we can have a word with her if it's making him ill! If it's something he's just helping himself to, that will be harder. Could it be linked to some kind of food intolerance or is that unusual in cats? And should we be worried it might be something serious?

Rebecca :

I have not heard of Dreamies, so I looked it up: lots of carbohydrates in them, and not all cats digest carbohydrates well.

Rebecca :

If he had food intolerance, I would expect vomiting and diarrhea. It would help to know what his stool looks like.

Rebecca :

If this is anything serious, you would probably see vomiting and weight loss.

Customer :

I did see one in the garden when this first happened and it looked soft but solid, if that makes sense! A normal brown colour. He does eat grass and regurgitate his food sometimes but that's only occasional. Dreamies are terrible - cats go crazy for them so they're quite useful as bribes but I'm sure they're not very good.

Rebecca :

Eating grass and vomiting is normal, and not a worry to me.

Rebecca :

If you get another chance to see his bowel movement again, definitely get a sample for you vet to examine.

Customer :

Ok - so if I do that, can I just collect it in a container and then keep it til we get to the vet - or does it need to be seen within a certain time frame?

Rebecca :

I would try to get it to your vet the day you collect it, next day at the latest.

Customer :

Great. Thank you. You've been very helpful. My gut feeling (pardon the pun) is that it's nothing majorly serious, but he must be uncomfortable so hopefully we can get it sorted.

Rebecca :

You are welcome. I agree it does not sound serious.

Rebecca :

Is there anything else I can answer, or help with?

Customer :

No that's it - I'll give you a rating now - thanks!

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating!
Rebecca