Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

, ive had my cat in a good cattery weeks while I

hello, ive had my cat in a good cattery for 3 weeks while I went on holiday, she is a rag doll and very loving and playful and energetic but since I brought her home she is very sleepy all the time and listless she nibbles at her food but I haven't seen her drink yet after being home for 3 days and she has only passed a motion once and it seemed dry and hard but she has not yet urinated, I took her to my own vet who checked her out and said she was fine after doing a physical examination but she looked concerned when we told that the cat had been in a cattery for 3 weeks I am so worried she just sleeps all the time now. Carol
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

How old is your kitty?

Customer:

she is nearly two

Dr. Susan :

OK, when you look at her gums and inside her ears, does she seem yellow or jaundiced at all?

Customer:

just one moment please until I check

Dr. Susan :

No problem.

Customer:

no her gums and ears look normal colour

Dr. Susan :

Good.

Dr. Susan :

Although it is unusual to see in a cat her age, I think it is a good idea to have some blood work checked for her.

Dr. Susan :

I'm concerned about the possibility of an underlying illness.

Customer:

she tries to play but doesn't seem to have any energie at all

Customer:

ok

Customer:

I did have her to my vet but she did not do a blood test

Dr. Susan :

Yes, I think it would be best to check major organ function including liver and kidneys, blood glucose level, and electrolytes.

Customer:

ok I will get that checked out

Customer:

what do you think it could be

Dr. Susan :

Based on your description, I'm worried about pancreatitis, liver disease, or even early kidney disease.

Dr. Susan :

Has she ever been tested for feline leukemia and FIV?

Customer:

I believe she had all her injections for that when she was very small

Dr. Susan :

We generally do not vaccinate for FIV, and not all cats are vaccinated for feline leukemia virus.

Dr. Susan :

It's another thing to keep in the back of our minds. When her blood screening is done, I would also make sure your vet checks her for those two viruses.

Customer:

ok I will check with my vet and thank you for the infomation

Dr. Susan :

You're welcome! Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.

Customer:

that will be all thank you