Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My cat had an x ray to discover why her breathing was very

Customer Question

My cat had an x ray to discover why her breathing was very rapid.A x ray indicated fluid in the lung surround cavity. This was drained (150ml) but she did nt respond as expected. She has since had Echocardiology but no reason has been found. We are caring for her at home for the last 2 days and are giving her Rutin every 8 hours. her breathing is slightly better when asleep,down from 64 too 55. Do you think the fluid has built up and needs draining or has it scarred the lung. Our vet mentioned a medication that could clear this through though her urine. Is this true. also when obtaining the Rutin i was told of Serapeptise which heals scarring. could you please give your opinion.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

The medication you are referring to is Lasix (furosemide), which is a diuretic.

Dr. Drew :

This is generally NOT effective for clearing fluid from around the lungs,

Dr. Drew :

rather, it is useful for clearing fluid from inside the lungs, when caused by Congestive Heart Failure.

Dr. Drew :

The fluid that was drained from the chest cavity should have been submitted to a laboratory for evaluation,,

Dr. Drew :

in order to characterize the possible cause.

Dr. Drew :

heart disease is an uncommon cause of this fluid in cats,

Dr. Drew :

more likely are issues such as Chylothorax, Cancer, or unknown in some cases.

Dr. Drew :

Fluid can build up fairly quickly after draining,

Dr. Drew :

within a few days in some cases.

Dr. Drew :

so if it's been a few days since the last draining, and the respiratory rate seems high, a repeat x-ray would be suggested.