Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

2 months ago my 15 year old cat had a seizure after I applied

Customer Question

2 months ago my 15 year old cat had a seizure after I applied flea treatment to her, I put it down to an allergic reaction but then a month on she had another one out of the blue, her leg goes up in the air then she topples over & shakes all over, she came out of them both quickly & back to normal in about 5 minutes.
I took her to the vets & had blood tests done, there was a slight query over her kidneys but following a urinalysis that was ruled out. The vets suggested a MRI but I didn't want to go down that route at her age so have not had a diagnosis of a brain tumour confirmed. Her appetite & drinking is normal, she enjoys going outside & a little bit of playing. She has gone a bit quiet this week & not wanting many cuddles. I am concerned she is in pain but will my vet give her pain relief for an undiagnosed condition or is it worth having bloods done again?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.

Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
Matilda presents me with a bit of a conundrum. You're correct to be concerned about brain tumor at her age. It's the most common cause of seizures in an elderly cat and a meningioma is most often found. Headache may certainly be associated with such a tumor and might well underlie her current change in behavior.

The conundrum is as follows: Pain relief in cats usually involves nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as robenacoxib or meloxicam but we have to be careful with such drugs because they can affect the kidneys. I would be pleased to review her kidney blood tests/urinalysis for you to better understand if such a drug would be appropriate for her. Alternatively, a low dose of a glucocorticosteroid such as prednisolone can be prescribed. Prednisolone relieves pain by reducing the inflammation associated with brain tumor. It, too, however, has multiple adverse effects on multiple body systems. Finally, analgesic opiates such as tramadol or buprenoprhine can be prescribed but Matilda is likely to become quite sedated by these drugs.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. Feel free to discuss our conversation with Matilda's vet.