Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My cat 13 yrs old use to bleed alittle from back passage yesterday

My cat 13 yrs old use to bleed alittle from back passage yesterday real heavy bleed and bright red
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

If this is a new problem and as long as there is no diarrhea or straining or heavy licking then you can monitor. Some top causes of this could be anal sac infection/abscess, related to colonic irritation as can come from ingesting an item that is causing irritation as it passes (and in this case it will resolve on its own) or a tumor/polyp/mass that is bleeding.

If the blood worsens or he seems quite distressed then I must recommend have him seen by his vet as soon as you can arrange this. I also want to confirm this is not coming from his urinary system/prepuce and is in fact coming from his anus/digestive tract. IF it is from the urinary system and he is having frequent trips to urinate then this becomes more of an emergency and he must be seen today for this (male cats are at high risk for urethral obstruction or becoming blocked and then unable to urinate without assistance which can be life-threatening).

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. Please view my replies above in answer to your question. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.