Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My cat is off her food, has not eaten at all today. Has been

My cat is off her food, has not eaten at all today. Has been sick, just fo***** *****quid and has passed a runny stool which smells.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
I'm sorry to hear Poppy having vomiting and diarrhea. Vomiting foam is stomach and esophageal mucous and air mixed when she retches, and simply means she is vomiting on an empty stomach. It isn't indicative of anything except that she is very nauseous.
This could be due to bacterial, viral or fungal infections, her eating something she should not including a foreign body (rubber band or toy piece), pancreatitis, organ failure, or inflammatory bowel disease. Infiltrative cancers like lymphoma are possible as well, or a tumor in the abdomen pressing on her gastrointestinal tract.
Gastrointestinal parasites are rarely the cause of vomiting or a decreased appetite but can contribute to diarrhea.
Does she have a fever (rectal temperature greater then 39.4C)?
Ideally because she is vomiting and having diarrhea both, and she is an older girl, she should see a veterinarian now. They can examine her, draw blood for testing and give her injections to reduce nausea and fluids to rehydrate her.
I would start with an acid reducing medication to try and settle her stomach. You can give either:
1)Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 2 to 5 kilograms of body weight every 12 hours
OR
2)Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 2 to 5 kilograms of body weight every 24 hours
These are acid reducers and may help her feel less nauseous. They can be used for several days if necessary as they are quite safe.
Then I recommend a 12 to 24 hour food fast. Water or clear broths are fine as she needs to stay hydrated but by taking away food we rest her gut and hopefully reset normal gut motions.
Now, a few hours after the acid reducing medication is given, even with a food fast, you can start Kao pectate at 2mls per kilogram (or 1 teaspoon per 2 kilograms) orally every 8 hours. This coats her gut to soothe it and absorbs bacterial toxins. Use the kaolin and pectin only formulation. If in doubt ask the pharmacist for help.
In 12 to 24 hours start a bland diet of 2/3 boiled, skinless, white meat chicken minced mixed with 1/3 boiled white rice. Offer small meals frequently. This is an easily digested bland diet.
Feed this diet for several days until her nausea and diarrhea clears, then slowly start mixing in her regular diet. It should take about a week to convert her back, mixing a little more regular and less bland in each meal.
You can also give him probiotics to replace good bacteria in her gut. Fortiflora and Benebac are very good. Your veterinarian or many larger pet stores carry them.
If even with the acid reducing medication, her food fast, kao pectate, probiotics and bland diet she continues vomiting she should be seen on emergency basis today. If she still has diarrhea with no firming up by Monday she should be seen by her regular veterinarian.
Please let me know if you have any further questions