Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

, I'm looking advice I noticed the left side

Customer Question

I'm looking for some advice I noticed the left side of my cats mouth has swollen yesterday evening and it's not looking any better today it's the lower left, he is barely eating, he is not making a deal of it but he looks like it's bothering him.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Most likley this is a tooth abscess that is causing this swelling. The roots of the tooth will become infected so the swelling shows on the outside of the face. This could also eb an allergic reaction to an insect bit but since it is bothering sweet Whisley, it is more likely to be an abscess. For now, apply hot compresses to this area every 4 hrs which will help draw the infection to the outside. If , by morning, it is still there, your vet will have to lance and drain this and probably have to pull this tooth so it does not happen again.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for getting back to me, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by a hot compress, Is that like a hot wet towel or am I totally off the mark? I forgot to mention he is a house cat not sure if that changes anything but from what I researched already it does seem it could be an abscess I just wanted to talk to a vet to get a professional answer, and being Saturday night for me it's not easy to get hold of a vet.
NO worries Peter. I am happy to clarify.

Yes , a hot rag placed on this are will work well. I know cats are not the easiest to do this with but try wrapping Whiskey in a towel and placing the hot rag (not too hot) on the area of the swelling for 2-3 minutes if he will allow it...just do the best you can until your vet can check him.

Good luck, Peter.
Thank you so much, Peter, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope Whiskey feels better soon!

Have a wonderful day!!