Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

, My cat was spayed 3 months or so ago, She just sat on my

Hi, My cat was spayed 3 months or so ago, She just sat on my nice white bed sheets and there was blood, on inspection it wasn't coming from her bum but her vagina area, is this normal for a spayed cat, she goes outside but not far, and lives with a male cat but he's been neutered, should I take her to the vet, she is eating and pooing ok and doen't seem to be peeing more than normal??
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello Kelly, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

Even for unspayed female cats, it would be unusual for them to develop a vaginal discharge during a heat cycle (unlike for dogs), so since she's been spayed, this particular cause would seem unlikely.

I have a few additional questions to ask about her if you don't mind:

1. Is she straining at all when she visits the the litter box?
2. Can you examine under her tail more closely? Any swelling or any wounds?
3. Does she act bothered if you look under her tail?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She doesn't appear to be straining, she has quite a prolapsed bum as I'd call it, but has since birth and the vet said it was because she was black it very visible, but it looks like it a bit out, if you know what I mean, she had some hard poo stuck to it, also her vagina is quite open rather than usually very shut, (not that I check mind you my cats private area often) There are a lot of uncastrated toms in my neighbourhood, could one have tried to mate with her even if not in heat. She doesn't mind me touching her, drinks lots of water anyway. She hasn't minded me looking at her at all but she so placid she wouldn't anyway.

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Kelly,

Thanks for the answers to my questions and the additional information.

Unless she was in heat, there's no way that she would allow a male to mount her. However, if she has what's known as an ovarian remnant (which means there's tissue in her body producing estrogen), then she might come into heat and mate with a male.

She should be showing signs of heat, though, for this to be the case so if she's not, then I doubt that she's had intercourse with a male cat. Even if she had, you shouldn't be seeing any blood after a mating.

So, if the source of the blood is her vaginal area and not her rectum and there's no wound that you can detect (although I'd keep monitoring for evidence of one), then the possibilities are as follows:

1. She could have a bladder infection and some of the urine leaked from her urethra onto your bedspread.
Typically, these cats are urinating more frequently and/or straining but not all of them read the textbooks and behave in a classic fashion.

2. She could have a localized vaginitis which could explain the blood that you saw as well as the more "open" position of her vagina.

3. She could have a stump pyometra which is basically the uterine stump (which was left in her body after her spay) has become infected. This doesn't happen very often but I'm including it to be complete.

4. It wouldn't be common either but a foreign body in the vaginal area might be responsible for the blood you've seen.
She's also quite young for a mass to be responsible but, again, I'll include it to be complete.

Since she's otherwise acting normally and since you've only seen the blood this one time, I might continue to monitor the situation for now. I suspect this won't be a "one off" as they say but it might be.
However, if you continue to see a vaginal discharge, then a vet visit may be prudent. If this were my case, I'd start with a urinalysis (#1) and go from there. I might also consider cytology of the discharge, looking for evidence of bacteria and white blood cells (#2)
Additional diagnostics such as an ultrasound might be necessary, though, to determine if one of the other possibilties is present.

I hope this helps. Deb

Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Kelly:
Thanks so much for the rating and bonus; it's greatly appreciated.

And, I hope you'll keep me posted about Biscuit. I'm somewhat curious to know what might be the source of the blood you saw if it persists. Even though you've rated, we can continue to communicate at no additional charge to you.
Best of luck with her. Regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the information request.