Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

My 15yr old cat has recently lost a lot of weight, reduced

Customer Question

My 15yr old cat has recently lost a lot of weight, reduced eating and drinking a lot of water. Tonight when I came home she had not eaten all day and refused and food. She did have some water but then was sick she has had a bit more water but very lethargic and is just sitting next to me very passively? Do I nee to take her to the vet now or in the morning?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. I'm sorry to hear that your little girl is sick. It would be the safest to take her to a vet now. There are several diseases that can lead to weight loss and increased water consumption and urine production. The two most serious diseases would be a complicated (quite sick) diabetic, and kidney disease. If she has one of these, then diagnosing her and beginning the appropriate treatment today would be very helpful for her.

Thank you so much for your very kind rating. . .greatly appreciated!!!
I'm wondering how your girl is doing by today, and I would love to hear. Even after a rating we can continue chatting for no extra charge to you.
Hope all is well,
Dr. Barbara
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi, thank you for asking. unfortunatly my little Izzy had to be put down so am missing her a lot . the main thing was that she was happy and content right up until the end and she was loved.

thanks again for asking

best wishes

Sarah

Oh Sarah,
I'm so sorry to hear that you have lost your Izzy. . .losing our pets is so devastating. You are very right tho', in Izzy's case she was loved and content and happy right up to the end. . .This is the best!
Hope you have the support their that you need.
In empathy,
Dr. Barbara