Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

weeks one of my cats does soft greyish smelly stools.

Customer Question

For some weeks one of my cats does soft greyish smelly stools. The other cat who gets the same diet produces normal stools. She is also drinking much more than she used to.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin

Gertie's polydipsia (increased thirst) is worrisome because it can arise from quite a few disorders that also cause changes in the gastrointestinal tract. Diabetes mellitus and both renal and hepatic insufficiencies are the most common of those disorders. Greyish (and whitish) stools indicate a lack of bile being produced or not being able to reach the gastrointestinal tract due to gall bladder or common bile duct disorders. Gertie's polydipsia, then, concomitant with greyish stools are most suggestive of a liver disorder.

The proper manner in which to proceed is to have Gertie see her vet once again for a thorough physical exam and this time have a diagnostic panel of blood/urine tests performed. I'm particulary interested in her test values referable to her liver - the liver enzymes ALT, AP, and GGT as well as her serum albumin and BUN. More advanced testing for liver function with serum bile acids may be recommended predicated upon her physical exam and preliminary tests. I would be pleased to review any test results you could upload to our conversation.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a week for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.