Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I live in the Southampton area and need to find a medication

I live in the Southampton area and need to find a medication for an allergic cat. I found online that Chlorpheniramine is one such medicine but don't know its brand name and where to purchase it?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm not certain if you're located in the UK although I assume that you are. I'd predicate my response on this assumption.

I frequently suggest anti-histamines for allergic cats although I often tell owners that this particular class of drug may not be strong enough to help alleviate symptoms...depending on the nature of the allergy. But, they're always worth a try.

But, to answer your question, Chlorpheniraine (my dose is 2-4 mgtwice a day ) is sold under different brand names such as
Aller-Chlor, Chlo-Amine, Chlor-Trimeton Allergy, Efidac 24.

Two other options for you to consider are:

Claritin (Loratadine) at a dose of 2.5-5 mg/cat or

Zyrtec (Cetirizine) 5 mg once or twice a day

It is important to ensure that the formulations used contain ONLY the antihistamine and are not combination products (e.g. Claritin-D contains pseudoephedrine, which could cause very significant adverse effects in a cat). So, you'll want to read the labels closely before you purchase any of these medications.

Sedation is a common side effect with these kinds of drugs.

Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) at a dose of 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet given twice daily is available here in the States but I understand that it's not easy to find in the UK.

Here in the States, these medications can be purchased at most human pharmacies or are even available online although I'm not certain if the same access is available to residents in the UK.

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Zlatko:
I understand that Piriton is another brand name for Chlorpheniramine in the UK and should be available at local human pharmacies.

Two others which I found are Allercalm® Allergy Relief and Hayleve but I'd double check the labels just to be safe as I mentioned above to ensure they don't contain other ingredients.

Deb

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Didn't you receive my second email? I asked whether there is a difference between the veterinary and the human preparations? Please answer this question, and I think, I'll know how to advise my friend in Bulgaria. She is going to use Claritin, I believe, since it is available in Bulgaria. ZA

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Zlatko:
Unfortunately, there may be a problem with the site since I didn't receive any additional emails from you:( My apologies for the inconvenience.

To the best of my knowledge, there are no veterinary products available which contain Chlorpheniramine; I always suggest the human versions when I recommend anti-histamines to be given to cats (or dogs for that matter).

Clairin would be fine to give if this is more readily available for your friend to use.Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Zlatko:
Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.
And, best of luck with your friend's cat. Regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the information request.