Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

, my 5 year old cat has had 4 visits to our vet plus one

Hello, my 5 year old cat has had 4 visits to our vet plus one over night stay at the vet school hospital.Her symptoms were, she wasn't eating and appeared to have a sore front left leg.She would occasionally lift her leg and shake it.Her temp had increased to 104.5 last Wednesday and was put on fluids at the hospital. She had blood tests which came back clear and they could not find any problems with her leg and no problems when they examined her stomach. She was given an antibiotic and pain relief injection.I was given loxicom to give her too.Her temp came down to 100.9 yest...Today she is very quiet and has only eaten a tiny amount so I'm unable to give her the loxicom..She is a very timid cat and has been left very traumatised with trips to and from the vet...The vet are unsure what is causing this but think it may be a virus...Have you any idea what could be causing this as I'm very worried about her?Thanks . Fiona
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Jo :

Dr. Jo :

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to discuss your question about Kyra.

Dr. Jo :

I'm so sorry she's been doing so poorly, but glad you are looking for the information you need.

Dr. Jo :

To join the conversation, simply type in what you want to say, then click REPLY.

Dr. Jo :

That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provide.

Dr. Jo :

First of all, it sounds as if you are taking absolutely wonderful care of Kyra. Good for you! Even though it is traumatizing for you and her both to have gone to the ER and the vet school, that's what's necessary to make sure she's receiving the best of care.

Dr. Jo :

We tend to call what Kyra is going through FUO. That stands for Fever of Unknown Origin.

Dr. Jo :

I'd like you to know you are not alone in going through this. It's fairly common in cats, moreso in cats who go outdoors.

Dr. Jo :

And any time a cat has a fever, they tend to be very inactive and don't want to eat much.

Dr. Jo :

I am inclined to agree with the vets who've seen Kyra. Most of the time when we have symptoms like this in a cat Kyra's age with normal blood work and no apparent cause for the fever, it is a virus.

Dr. Jo :

As is the case with all viral infections, we simply have to wait for them to run their course.

Dr. Jo :

Supportive nursing care is sometimes necessary, and Kyra has received the benefit of some of this: namely, fluids and nutritional support. Sometimes force feeding is necessary.

Dr. Jo :

I hope you can find some comfort in knowing that her blood tests help to rule out a lot of very serious possibilities. It's actually really good news they didn't show anything. I know it can be frustrating not knowing and feeling helpless, however.

Dr. Jo :

Antibiotics, of course, do not help treat viral infections, but are sometimes used to prevent or treat opportunistic bacterial infections that take advantage of a cat who's down with a virus.

Dr. Jo :

The most important things to do for Kyra at this point in time while waiting for the virus to run its course are as follows:

Dr. Jo :

-Be sure she eats at least a little bit every day. This is an okay time to offer warmed food, canned food, even meat varieties of baby food - anything to get her to eat at least a little every day. Your vet has canned maximum calorie foods that are soft enough to be fed through a syringe, if necessary.

Dr. Jo :

-Keep water fresh and close at hand for her.

Dr. Jo :

-Stay in touch with your vet.

Dr. Jo :

If she is getting dehydrated (skin gets doughy and is slow to snap back into place after you pinch/roll it up), she'll need to go back to the hospital for more fluids.

Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
I hope this is a helpful start to our conversation. Please let me know if you have additional questions after reading what I've written above.
Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss this with you until you are satisfied with the information I've provided.
You may return to this page at any time to review the information and/or post more at no additional charge to you. I will be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help.
If you are satisfied with the information I've provided so far, I'll kindly ask you to rate my response on your way out of the chat, as this is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.
If you are not, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Thank you for using our website.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
I see you are now online.
Could you please answer a few quick questions to help me help you better?
Does Kyra go outside?
Have you had her since she was a tiny kitten?
What do you know about her mother?
Is she a purebred cat?