Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

, Bella is a main coon 6 months old cat. Bella's food

Bella is a main coon 6 months old cat.
Bella's food is purina kitten dry food.
Up an until Wednesday all was fine, however from Wednesday she has diarrhea and it doesn't stop.
She eats well, playful and drink.
Twice a day she is going to do her things and urine she does more than twice a day.
How can I help her to get over her diarrhea??
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that your kitty Bella has had diarrhea for several days, but I am pleased that she seems to still feel fine and is active.
Diarrhea can be due to stress, a change in diet, eating things she should not (especially if she goes out unsupervised or is fed lots of table scraps), parasites, inflammatory bowel disease or even a food allergy. But it can also be related to metabolic organ disease (such kidney or liver disease) due to organ wastes irritating the gut (unlikely in such a young cat, but possible). Rarely a mass in the colon can be the cause.
Since she still feels well otherwise though we can try some things at home to help with her diarrhea.
I would not feed her any food for 24 hours.
This should help stop gut spasms and restore normal gut motility.
Small amounts of water given frequently are fine as she needs fluids after all that she has lost with diarrhea. You can give him pedialyte to replace electrolytes too.
Today even with the fast you can start Kao-pectate (kaolin and pectin formulation) at 1ml per pound or 1 tablespoon per 15 pounds of body weight every 6 to 8 hours. This is quite safe and will coat her irritated gastrointestinal tract as well as absorbing bacterial toxins. You can use it for several days until her stools look normal. You can find kao-pectate at the drug store.
If she has a tense painful abdomen, continues to have diarrhea with no improvement after being on kao pectate for 24 to 48 hours, becomes very lethargic, begins vomiting or runs a fever greater than 103.5F then she really must be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible. Make sure to take a fresh stool sample with you when you go.
After her food fast start a bland diet of 2/3 boiled white skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, mixed with 1/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day. You might wish to add 1 to 2 tablespoon(s) of canned pumpkin to each meal if you are seeing mucous or blood in her stool as fiber helps soothe an irritated colon.
You can also add probiotics to her bland diet to replace the good bacteria lost with diarrhea. Good brand name products include Fortiflora or Benebac. They can be found online or at pet stores.
Once she feels better (no diarrhea for 48 hours) start mixing in her regular cat food very slowly, less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert her back.
Ideally you should have her veterinarian check at least a couple fresh stool samples too for parasites as parasites are a common cause of diarrhea in young cats and parasite eggs/cysts are shed intermittently and could be part of her trouble. They may be picked up on the second sample or third test if the first is negative.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience: Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The cat doesn't eat meat at all only kitten dry food.
I will be able to buy her the medication in any human drugstore ??
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
I understand that this isn't a normal diet for her, but it's fine to feed for a couple days to soothe her stomach and improve digestibility. I don't recommend feeding table food, and my animals don't get it either, but I have used this sort of diet for them when they had stomach upset. It smells delicious to them and after a day of not eating she is very likely to eat it very well.
Kao-pectate or a generic kaolin-pectin formulation should be available over the counter at the drug store. If in doubt on what to purchase ask the pharmacist for help.
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian