Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My cat is happy & normally healthy. My vet has put the cat,

Customer Question

My cat is happy & normally healthy. My vet has put the cat, who is at least 15 years old, on benefortin for heart murmur & renal insufficiency as it started drinking more than usual. Do you consider that this is the best medication under the circumstances? what alternatives would you advise? Renal food is not readily accepted by the cat.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Rebecca :

Rebecca :

I am sorry to hear about Cindy's heart. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

What tests have been done to diagnose her heart and kidney disease? Do you have the results of blood tests and urinalysis?

Rebecca :

Was an echocardiogram done to see if she just has a murmur or actually has heart disease? Cats can have an "innocent" heart murmur, or a heart murmur can be sign of a heart condition, such as cardiomyopathy.

Rebecca :

I also would test her thyroid levels. Many older cats with heart murmurs have hyperthyroidism.

Rebecca :

I do like benazapril, or Benefortin, for both heart disease and kidney disease. If she has protein in her urine, I would especially recommend it.

Rebecca :

There is a supplement called Azodyl that helps some cats with chronic kidney disease. Fish oil is another good supplement.

Rebecca :

It would help to see her test results, to see if her phosphorus is elevated, if her potassium is normal, if her calcium is normal, as well as her kidney numbers (BUN and Creatinine) and if there is protein in her urine.

Rebecca :

I hope you can see what I am writing in this live chat. I am not seeing responses from you. I will try another way to connect with you if I don't hear from you soon.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Peter,
I hope you now can see what I am writing.
Let me know what other questions you have, and if you have the results of the blood and urine tests.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Peter,
How is Cindy doing?

Rebecca