Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

my cat has eaten some of my pelargonium sidiodes plant - is

my cat has eaten some of my pelargonium sidiodes plant - is it toxic to him ?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How much do you think he has had?

How long ago?

How is he just now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dont think he has had that much, I have been out all day so could have eaten up to 8 hours ago. Has mild diarrheoa

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I dont think he has eaten that much I have been out all day so could have eaten up to 8 hour ago. He has mild diarrhoea now

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Now the Pelargonium plant species are considered to be toxic to cats. Though not severely toxic as we see with some other plants (like Lilies). Specifically, this one is nown to cause GI upset (drooling, appetite loss, vomiting, diarrhea), depression, lethargy, and we can see oral or skin irritation where it has been in contact.

Now if he has only had some diarrhea after eating this 8 hours ago, I agree that the volume he ate would have been small. Therefore, at this stage, we'd not be overly worried and would just want to use a bit of supportive care while this runs its course. Therefore, at this stage, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep his stomach settled. And as these are easy to digest, they will reduce any nausea and diarrhea for him.

Further to this, if you think he has a bit naseous, then you can also cover him with an antacid to keep him stomach as settled as possible. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are Pepcid (More Info/Dose) or Zantac (More Info/Dose). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet if your wee one has a pre-existing condition or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, this plant isn't cat friendly but the signs it causes are not severe. And if we are only see mild diarrhea 8 hours on, this is likely all we will see. Therefore, we'd just want to offer a light diet, monitor, and move the plant out of reach at this point and it should just run its course.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.