Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc (DVM equivalent). Special interest in canine and feline medicine and surgery.
9138059

my cat has just developed heavy drooling and has difficulty

Customer Question

my cat has just developed heavy drooling and has difficulty in breathing
Category: Cat
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your 9 year old boy Barney who has just started drooling and who seems to be having trouble breathing. There are a number of things that could be going on here including anything from a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything around your home or yard he could get in to), or even trauma (such as being hit by a car if he is an outdoor cat). It could even be that Barney has something stuck in his mouth that is both causing the drooling as well as obstructing his airway - leading to the difficult in breathing you are currently seeing.

Ultimately, because Barney is having difficulty breathing, you will need to get him down to your local vet or ER Vet straight away. Any issue where a cat is having difficulty breathing or struggling to breath is an emergency as these cases can quickly spiral out of control and become life threatening.

There isn't anything you can do for him from home in this particular situation with the way his breathing is. Please do get him straight down to your local ER Vet right away if you can. If you need assistance finding the closest vet to you, please reply so I can search for one for you depending on your location. Once you have him at your local ER Vet, they will be able to carry out a full and thorough examination, as well as carry out any necessary tests (such as xrays) to help find the cause of his drooling and breathing issues.

Best of luck and please let me know how you get on. I will wait to hear from you if you require help finding your local ER Vet.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.