Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat has a build up of fluid on his head. Very squidgy and

Customer Question

My cat has a build up of fluid on his head. Very squidgy and doesnt seem to hurt him. He scratches it and opens it up. A clear/yellow liquid ..not smelly comes out. And then he is fine. I have cleaned it up but it has built up again. My vet advised to keep it clean but if it keeps coming back and moving to different areas what could it be ?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

When you say it moves to different sites, how far from the original one would you say that is?

Is it always on his head?

If possible, could you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, I am happy to have a look (since it will let me see what you are seeing). To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar (How To). Or you can post them on a 3rd party site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web address here.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is just on his head on the left side. Originated above his eye towards his ear then went down and 'normal ' for a week . It is now reappeared behind his ear down the back towards his neck. So about 1 inch from original site. The original site is normal now. I can provide a photo but im not with the cat at the moment. Do you have any initial thoughts?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hi again Kate,

Based on your description alone, the most likely cause for his recurrent signs would be a cyst. Other concerns would be abscesses or hematomas (blood blisters) but based on the fluid you are seeing these would be less likely.

Now cysts are caused by abnormal glandular cells overproducing cystic fluid (often yellow or clear without odor). They tend to lead to a fluid accumulation under the skin until the pressure on the skin causes rupture. The fluid is allowed to drain but in time the site will heal and and the situation recurs since the glandular cells are still present. Often these are considered cosmetic but if they are causing a lot if issue for your lad, then surgical removal is usually indicated. Of course, if one does so, it is important for the vet to remove all the cystic cells (which could be difficult with where this is located) as any left could lead to recurrence in time.

Overall, based on your history, a cyst would be our main suspect here. If your vet doesn't think this site is operable, then keeping it clean when to ruptures may be the best conservative course of action. Of course, if this is causing you both alot of bother, then you may want to speak about surgery with the vet or referral to a specialist to see if they can do so.

All the best,
Dr. B.