Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My cat is 14 year old tom. He has developed a cough and is

My cat is 14 year old tom. He has developed a cough and is very sleepy, he is wormed regularly and usually very fit. He seems to be gulping and has almost lost his meow. When he coughs his stomach is really wrenching. He seems to be eating sort of ok. Don't know about his toilet as he goes outside. All family members have a cough and cold, if this helps. Thanks .
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Jo :

Dr. Jo :

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to discuss your questions about Toffee.

Dr. Jo :

I'm sorry he isn't doing well, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

Dr. Jo :

You may join the conversation by typing in what you want to say, then clicking REPLY.

Dr. Jo :

That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

Dr. Jo :

I'm also sorry to hear all your family has a cough and cold as well. That's never any fun to deal with.

Dr. Jo :

Fortunately, most cold viruses are species-specific - that is, they don't travel from cats to people and back and forth.

Dr. Jo :

Additionally, in Toffee's case, this sounds like a really serious cough.

Dr. Jo :

While colds (viruses) can cause a cough for a cat, there are also a lot of other things that can cause a cough for a cat like Toffee. These include:

Dr. Jo :

-bacterial infections

Dr. Jo :

-fungal infections

Dr. Jo :

-worm infections (yes, even though he's regularly dewormed)

Dr. Jo :

-heart disease

Dr. Jo :

-pleural space disease (this is the space in the chest around the outside of the heart and lungs)

Dr. Jo :

-immune-mediated diseases

Dr. Jo :

-cancer.

Dr. Jo :

I don't mean to frighten you, but as you can see, there are some pretty serious possibilities on this list.

Dr. Jo :

Because of that, it's really important that you take Toffee to a vet for an exam and any recommended tests to get a diagnosis as to why he is coughing.

Dr. Jo :

Only then will you know what the appropriate course of action is.

Dr. Jo :

In the meantime, I would advise keeping him separated from any other cats you might have in case it is contagious, and doing your best to be sure he eats at least a little every day.

Dr. Jo :

I see you are currently offline.

Dr. Jo :

Please remember you may join this conversation at any time by typing in a reply.

Dr. Jo :

I want to be as helpful as possible.

Dr. Jo :

I see you are now online...

Dr. Jo :

Please let me know how else I may help.

Dr. Jo :

Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss this with you until you are satisfied with the information I've provided.

You may return to this page at any time to review the information and/or post more at no additional charge to you. I will be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help.

If you are satisfied with the information I've provided so far, I'll kindly ask you to rate my response on your way out of the chat, as this is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.

If you are not, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.

Thank you for using our website.

Customer:

Thank uou for your help, I'll take him to the vets tomorrow :/

Customer:

Thank you I'll get him to the vets tomorrow :/

Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.