Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

fur lost round belly back legs tail and bottem

Customer Question

Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

This certainly sounds concerning for your cat. The top cause for hair loss in this region is an allergy to fleas. Are you using an effective monthly preventive? If not, then this may be a starting point (use an effective preventive). I recommend as your vet what is working well in your area as we are seeing a lot of resistance to many products these days. If this is the cause then you may see improvement within 2 weeks. Other signs that can corroborate fleas might be excessive grooming especially in that area (many have the stop-and-chew behavior in an almost obsessive chewing). Often we can find no fleas because a cat will groom these away before we find them. If you see any scabs around the tail base then this makes fleas even more likely or if you see black "dirt" which is the leftover from fleas (although this is uncommonly seen in cats that are good groomers).

Dr. Joey :

If you feel your cat is on good preventive and there are no observable fleas, then this could be due to another issue such as an endocrine problem or a different allergy such as food allergy or environmental allergy. Rarely we do have cats that are obsessive over groomers and this is a behavioral problem.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable or we are having a tough time connecting for a live chat.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.