Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

last weekend our cat was hit by a car and broke her pelvis

Customer Question

last weekend our cat was hit by a car and broke her pelvis and had some potential nerve damage to the sciatic nerve, the vet told us to keep her confined and medicated.
she seems to be recovering movement in her back legs and she is urinating but she seems to be having great trouble pooping and has only managed two tiny pieces since the accident.
Unfortunately we cant contact our vet till Monday is there anything you can advise?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin

Pelvic bone "folding" - when the two sides of the pelvis collapse together and obstruct the rectum preventing normal passage of feces - is always a consideration after the pelvis has been fractured. This can occur at the time of the injury and also at a later date depending upon where fractures occurred and how stable the bones are surrounding the fracture site(s). Were you apprised of this risk or was it obvious that fractures seen wouldn't result in such folding?

You mustn't administer laxatives should Evil's rectum be obstructed by displaced pelvic segments but you can administer a stool softener such as docusate sodium (Colace) at a dose of 50 mg/cat. This oral stool softener is available over the counter at your local druggist.

Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.
May I have an update on Evil, please?