Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My cat is 9 months old and had the second part of her booster

Customer Question

My cat is 9 months old and had the second part of her booster jab on Thursday evening. Today she is very quiet (unlike her), has an upset tummy and won't eat. Is this a normal side-affect of the injection?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.I'm sorry that your cat isn't feeling well but typically vaccine reactions are seen within the first 24-36 hours after they're given. Since she was vaccinated on Thursday and it's now Saturday, it seems less likely that she's having a vaccine reaction although I suppose it can't be entirely ruled out. I would have expected her to be "off" yesterday but perhaps she missed class that day when they were discussing the timing of vaccine reactions. If you have a thermometer, you can take her temperature. Normal is between 100 and 102.5. If it's high, then this could be secondary to the vaccines she received or possibly something else is going on such as an early upper respiratory infection, a bacterial or viral infection or even a condition called Fever of Unknown Origin (which is basically exactly what it sounds like) In an attempt to help settle her stomach, you could give her over the counter Pepcid AC (Famotidine) at a dose of 1/4th of a 10 mg tablet twice a day.I wouldn't even offer her any food for 12-24 hours; just give everything a chance to settle down. Then offer her a small portion of boiled chicken breast or human baby food (avoid those with onion or garlic in them). If she continues to vomit and or doesn't want to eat, then a vet visit may be prudent on Monday. I hope this helps. Deb