Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat has been sick about every 3 days although still eating

My cat has been sick about every 3 days although still eating and drinking and bright and playfull
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How old is he ?

How long has he been vomiting?

What does he bring up in his vomit?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, string, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Has he had any diarrhea?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She is 2/12 years old normal stools gums pink when tummy pressed no reaction to pain vomit nothing I can identify
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

And just for a clear idea of her situation, can you tell me how long she has been vomiting every few days?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She was sick last Monday then Thursday and again this morning
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you again,

Now when a young cat develops vomiting, we have to appreciate that this is a sign that can be triggered by a range of issues. Since this is a mild intermittent and only recently started issue for her, we would need to consider the potential for hairballs (which can act as an intermittent stomach blockage in an otherwise well cat) but also consider low grade bacterial gastroenteritis, viral disease, pancreatitis, parasitic infections, dietary indiscretions, toxin and/or foreign material ingestion.

Now you have noted that she was still eating and drinking and didn't mention if she was the kind of kitty that would eat something she should not have. Therefore, hopefully we can put those last 2 concerns lower on our list at this stage. And in that case, we can try a bit of supportive care to reduce her current signs for her.

To start, you can consider treating her with a cat hairball treatment (ie Laxatone, Catalax etc). These will lubricate any hairballs or mild blockages in the stomach if present. Getting these to pass can stop signs for her. Otherwise, to address the nausea that wil be triggered the vomiting, you can consider treating her with an antacid. There are a range that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to recommend are Pepcid (More Info/Dose) or Zantac (More Info/Dose). This medication of course shouldn’t be given without consulting your vet if she does have any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications. Ideally, it should be given about 30 minutes before food to ease her upset stomach.

Further to this, we can find that light/easily digestible diets can reduce nausea and sickness in cats if they do have benign GI upset. Examples would include boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk),meat baby food (do avoid the ones with garlic powder in the ingredients) or there are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used here (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity.) When offering these, do start with a small amount. If she eats it and keeps it down for >30 minutes, then you can give her a bit more and so on. The advantage of light diets is that they are easier on the stomach so less likely to cause vomiting.

Overall, when a young cat has mild intermittent vomiting of this nature, there are a range of concerns. Therefore, to start, we'd want to rule out hairballs and address underlying nausea. As long as she stabilizes and we don't see any of the signs I asked about initially, then we'd be happy. But if you try the above over this week and do not see her settle, then infectious issues would be suspect. And at that stage, we'd want to consider following up with her vet at that point. They can assess her hydration, have a feel of her abdomen and just make sure there isn’t anything in that stomach that shouldn’t be. Depending on the findings, cover her with antibiotics, give strong any-nausea/vomiting medication by injection, and appetite stimulating drugs to get her back on track and back to normal.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you that puts my mind at rest for the time being
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome,

All the best and have a great holiday weekend,
Dr. B.