Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

I have a 14+year old cat diagnosed with feline asthma. I can

I have a 14+year old cat diagnosed with feline asthma.
I can give her the recommended inhalation. 20 breaths 3 times in 24hours.
Is it wise to try and give her the inhaler when she is wheezing?
I always wait till her wheezes subside.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
Welcome! My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.
I am sorry to hear about this concern for Teeny-Wee.
Great question.
Ideally, it may be less stressful to her to administer the inhaler after she is a bit more relaxed. However, it depends on the severity of her condition and if rescue treatment is needed. Meaning, if her bout of respiratory difficult is severe and it is persisting for minutes, than it is well worth administer the inhalation therapy immediately.
Also, I see that you have a good steroid inhalant. But, what about a rescue treatment.
With bad asthma, ask your vet about also having inhalation therapy at home for a bronchodilator.
http://www.felineasthma.org/medications/albuterol.htm
The link above will tell you some extra information about this medication to complement the flixotide. Worth asking your vet about.
Good Luck!
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification or have more questions. I aim to provide the best answer that I can.