Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My diabetic cat has recently developed breathing difficulties.

Customer Question

My diabetic cat has recently developed breathing difficulties. It seems to be getting progressively worse.
He is insulin dependent and so can't have cortisone. He is on Loxicom and Bisolvon only but they don't seem to be working. Is there any other alternative treatment that isn't steroid based that could be prescribed?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Rebecca :

Rebecca :

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your cat.

Rebecca :

I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

I don't like to use Lexicon long term in cats. It has been associated with causing kidney failure in some cats.

Rebecca :

If it is allergies, I would try the antihistamine cyproheptadine (Periactin).

Rebecca :

If a chest Xray has not been done, I would do that. If he has asthma, he needs to get steroids. You could use inhaled steroids; that would not be absorbed much systemically and should not interfere with the diabetes.

Rebecca :

I hope you can see what I am writing in live chat; I am not seeing responses from you.

Rebecca :

A chest Xray would tell us if he has asthma, or an enlarged heart.

Rebecca :

I will try another format to contact you, if I do not hear from you. Maybe this live chat is not working for us.

JACUSTOMER-t2wjhwmi- :

Thanks Rebecca, I will pass on your suggestions. We are becoming increasingly concerned about our cat. Our vet seems rather reticent in giving him anything steroid based. He has not had an x ray.

Rebecca :

I have treated diabetic asthmatic cats with the inhaled steroids. When given with an inhaler, the steroids are just in the lungs, and should not cause systemic side effects.

Rebecca :

But first get a chest Xray and see if asthma is what he has.

Rebecca :

You can try children's nose drops once daily, if his nose seems stuffed.

Rebecca :

And the Cyproheptadine may help.

Rebecca :

Is there anything else I can answer or help with?

JACUSTOMER-t2wjhwmi- :

Thank you-this gives me hope.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating.
Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Rebecca,
I have taken him off the Loxicom and giving him Bisolvon only when I think he needs it. He is 16 yrs old and we inherited him last year when his owner next door to us died. We discovered he was diabetic shortly after taking him in. Given his age kidney damage is a real concern. Unfortunately , where I live, in the Western Isles, we have only one veterinary practice who mainly deal with larger animals.
What anti inflammatory medication would you recommend? I am going to ask the vet for cyproheptadine and whether he could have a chest x Ray.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
There are few non steroidal anti inflammatory medications safe in cats. Actually, cats tolerate prednisone for inflammation better than nonsteroidals.
Onsior is the only non steroidal that seems to be safe for cats for long term use. Meloxicam (Loxicam) is tolerated by some cats, but here in the US it has a "black box" warning not to use it in cats; some have developed acute kidney failure.
I would start with a chest Xray and determine what is going on, first.
Let me know how he is doing.
Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks once again. I will let you know-thank goodness you are there!
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome!