Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

Our Cat want let Humans touch Her! How do we go about getting

Customer Question

Our Cat want let Humans touch Her! How do we go about getting over this problem.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Proper socialization of our cats must be accomplished by the critical age of 7 weeks. Early handling of kittens by humans is not only beneficial for improving social relationships between kittens and humans, but also leads to accelerated physical and central nervous system development. The more handling by 7 weeks of age the more friendly the kitten is likely to be toward people. We also recognize that social relationships between cats and humans also show widespread diversity. Cats differ greatly in personality and temperament. Genetic variability and the amount and quality of exposure to humans during the critical socialization period are important factors determining how social a cat will be with humans. Some cats are independent, with little desire for contact with humans or other cats. Others maintain social relationships with people or other family pets throughout life. Approximately 15% of cats seem resistant to socialization with humans.

So what to do...You can accept the way she is and cohabitate with a cat who may or may not change her behavior as she ages. You will learn to work around her behavior - not a desirable relationship to one's pet in my opinion. Alternatively, you can rehome her to a place where socialization with humans isn't important - a farm or ranch where she can become a "mouser", e.g. She might be returned to the breeder or surrendered to a shelter and you can adopt another cat more suitable for your family...if for no other reason that cat scratches and bites can result in serious injury to you. It's not unusual for a spitting cat to exacerbate into a scratching and biting cat. Too many of my owners end up hospitalized with sepsis secondary to bites. To answer you directly, you mustn't force the issue which is actually contraindicated but you can continue interactive play with her and reward good behavior with favored treats. Cats can be taught tricks and by doing so you instill confidence in them and you should then see better socialization with you.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. I regret having to write such discouraging words but I do have your best interests in mind.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Michael. Thank you for getting back to me. Your answer was what we expected.

We now have Two choices keep her and hope she will change over time, or re-home her.

We will not send her back to the Breeder partly because they want wont her back and they were the cause of the problem.

In the short time we will try and continue interactive play ETC and see if she improves.

Thanks again for your hep Carole GOVER

You're welcome, Carole. Thank you for your understanding.

Yes, let's see how working with her turns out.

I'm going to check back with you in a month for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Please disregard the info request.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Michael. If things change before you get back to me I will let you know.

Carole

Thank you, Carole. I appreciate it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Michael. Since my last reply Jazz has let me Stoke her on her head a couple of times without backing off, plus she has brought us Two Bird's. One was dead and the other alive which my husband took it from her and placed it in a neighbours garden, hopefully it will live.

So we think things may be moving very slowly forward.

All the best Carole

Thank you, ***** ***** the update. I'll take slowly but surely over the alternative!