Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My cat has a lump on his back, about 1/4 of the way down his

My cat has a lump on his back, about 1/4 of the way down his spine from his beck, here is a picture: http://i.imgur.com/6xUDmT3.jpg. It is roughly 3mm in diameter. It has only gone red recently. He gets very stressed going to the vet so if I could get an answer now I would appreciate it!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. From what I can tell, this actually looks like an irritated or scraped lesion. If a small mass was there before, then he may have scraped it on something which is why it looks red now. If it's new, then it looks like a small wound which might be seen from a claw or tooth (if you have another cat) or if he lodged himself somewhere and tried to extricate himself. I'll confess I've seen small wounds on indoor only cats very similar to this and the owners have not a clue how their cats managed to develop them.But, regardless, my suggestions would be as follows: 1. Gently clean the area with dilute over the counter Betadine or Iodine (to the color of weak tea) twice a day.2. Apply a very small amount of anti-bacterial ointment twice a day but prevent Colonel Cataffi from licking it off. Cats can be sensitive to many over the counter drugs and I don't want him to ingest any of it. If this is a new wound/lesion, then you should see healing in just a few days. Even if this is an older small mass which was irritated in some way, you should still see improvement relatively quickly since most cats heal very quickly. I probably wouldn't worry too much about the presence of a small mass (if it's been there for a while) since the largest percentage of them will be benign. I hope this helps. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated. Best of luck with Colonial Cataffi. Kind regards, ***** ***** ignore the information request.