Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My Maine Coone kitten doesn't clean herself properly after

Customer Question

My Maine Coone kitten doesn't clean herself properly after using her litter tray - any suggestions
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Jo :

Dr. Jo :

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your Maine Coon kitten.

Dr. Jo :

I'm sorry she's having this messy difficulty, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

Dr. Jo :

You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say, then clicking REPLY.

Dr. Jo :

That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

Dr. Jo :

Please rest assured you are not alone with this annoying and messy problem.

Dr. Jo :

Some cats are simply more fastidious than others, and the longer hair coat of a Maine Coon certain predisposes them to trouble with bowel movements "clinging on' only to drop off later.

Dr. Jo :

The most common solution to this problem is to regularly give your kitten what is called a "sanitary clip".

Dr. Jo :

A clipper is used to trim the hair underneath the tail and around the anus down to a fairly short length.

Dr. Jo :

This helps decrease the likelihood of "cling-ons".

Dr. Jo :

This is something you can easily learn to do yourself, or a groomer will also be happy to provide the service.

Dr. Jo :

In the meantime, be sure your kitten is on a diet that works well for her. Softer stools are also more likely to cling on. And you'll also want to keep up on regular deworming and parasite control measures as your veterinarian recommends, again, to be sure you've done what you can to keep her stools as formed as possible.

Dr. Jo :

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Dr. Jo :

I see you're online. Is there anything else I can help you with today?

JACUSTOMER-y2qkj0y1- :

No thanks - I'll try clipping her and hope she gets a bit more fastidious as she gets older!

Dr. Jo :

You're very welcome. Good luck with your new kitten. Maine Coons are delightful!