Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My cat keeps twitching then he will run around and pooh at

Customer Question

My cat keeps twitching then he will run around and pooh at the same time
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear about your cat Teddy twitching, then running and defecating. This may be an allergic reaction to something, secondary to a toxin, or it may be a type of seizure behavior.
Are his stools normal in consistency or are they very loose?
Any vomiting?
Does he seem mentally aware when this is going on? Meaning can you get his attention and stop him or does he seem "out of it" and nonresponsive?
I do think he needs to see his veterinarian. If you can get this behavior on video to show your veterinarian that would be very helpful.
There are several things that can cause muscle twitches. Infections, nerve damage or inflammation, kidney disease and mineral (especially calcium) or electrolyte disturbances, as well as an allergic reaction or seizure can all cause muscle fasiculations (spasms) as well.
I need to ask if you recently applied any topical flea medications or could he have been exposed to an insecticide? If so you want to bathe him thoroughly to remove as much of the toxin as possible with something like Dawn dishwashing soap and cool water. Do not use hot water or scrub his skin as that will increase toxin absorption. Some flea control products, especially the over the counter products with high amounts of pyrethrin type insecticides can cause muscle twitches in cats.
Another possible cause of his symptoms is an allergic reaction. It might help to give Benadryl (diphenhydramine) at a dose of 1mg to 2mg per pound of body weight every 8 to 12 hours for at least 3 to 4 days. That's 1/2 of a 25mg tablet per 7 to 15 pound cat every 8 hours. Side effects are sleepiness and dry mouth.
If he seems to be progressing in symptoms and has a grand mal seizure (falls to the ground, unconscious, unaware of surroundings, repetitive, uncontrollable whole body muscle movements with or without loss of urine or stool) then he should be seen by a veterinarian on an emergency basis today.
If his color is good and he is eating, drinking and behaving normally otherwise I suspect that he is stable but I do recommend that your veterinarian examine him and run some tests to determine why he is having these muscle spasms. I wouldn't wait too long to have him seen as some of the things that can cause muscle spasms (like toxins, electrolyte or mineral imbalances) can cause long term problems for your fellow and may be indicative of serious diseases. If this is secondary to high blood calcium levels then addressing that promptly so there is no organ damage and tissue calcification is best.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.