Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience.
14018973

my 6 year old male cat has a large uneven lump in neck/jaw

my 6 year old male cat has a large uneven lump in neck/jaw and is lethargic and not eating-any ideas?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question. I'm very sorry to hear about this situation with Rio. If this lump / mass isn't a mat of fur, and it has been present for this long - it has me concerned too. I have had cases where owners feel a mass and it turns out to be a fur mat. If this really is a mass in that area, then I would be concerned that it could be a cancerous growth. If this was an abscess or infection, it wouldn't seem to be that persistent without it draining and you seeing the discharge. The best thing to do is to have your vet asee him and aspirate the mass to look at the material / cells from it in a slide. They can determine what the next step is to help him. It may be something that antibiotics can help with or other medications. I wish I could see this mass up close, but obviously I can't.