Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

We have rescued a very tamed cat from being shot by a shop

Customer Question

We have rescued a very tamed cat from being shot by a shop owner who does not like cats. the owners must have dropped the cat )1-2 yers old) due to his runny tummy. It was constant, yellow, watery and looked like threads in it. We took him to a vet and was firstly diagnosed with aids. He is for +- 12 days now on "flagyl" and was also now given for a few days"ARS AB30CH-ulmus tinct- homotox remedies. For past 3 days we also gave him "protein soluble" in milk? His pooh is now a dark brown but still very runny. His anus is also better but still red. What can we do to help this most loving cat?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin

I applaud your caring for Rocky. Managing an immunosuppressed FIV+ cat can be quite a challenge. Metronidazole is a reasonable palliative therapy because that drug is an antiinflammatory antibiotic with particularly good efficacy against bacterial (Clostridium, e.g.) infections and inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) in cats. Presumptive worming should be considered next. I would administer 7 consecutive days of fenbendazole at a dose of 50 mg/kg once daily. You should be able to find fenbendazole over the counter in a pet/feed store or it can be prescribed by Rocky's vet. Fenbendazole is an excellent broad spectrum wormer that also addressed the protozoan Giardia. Should this drug not be helpful, however, diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests should be considered next in the event that his diarrhea has resulted from major organ involvement such as pancreatitis, hepatitis, and nephritis - all of which can arise as a sequela of FIV infection.

Should nothing untoward be found, advanced diagnostics in the form of PCR (a DNA-based) testing of feces which can detect rarer gastrointestinal parasites such as Cryptosporidium and Tritrichomonas foetus might be necessary and even scoping and biopsy of the GI tract in these cats might be the only manner in which to determine the etiology of such diarrhea.

Less likely but also less costly and invasive to test for is a food intolerance. Food intolerance/allergy is addressed with prescription hypoallergenic diets. These special foods contain just one novel (rabbit, duck, e.g.) animal protein or proteins that have been chemically altered (hydrolyzed) to the point that Rocky's immune system doesn't "see" anything to be allergic to. The over the counter hypoallergenic foods too often contain proteins not listed on the label - soy is a common one - and these proteins would confound our evaluation of the efficacy of the hypoallergenic diet. The prescription foods are available from his vet. There are many novel protein foods and a prototypical hydrolyzed protein food is Hill’s Prescription Diet z/d ultra (my preference). A positive response is usually seen within a few weeks if we’ve eliminated the offending food allergen. Food intolerance can arise at any age and even after our patient has been eating the same food for quite some time.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a few weeks for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.