Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

there, a friend's cat has just been taken

hi there,
a friend's cat has just been taken to vet, and kidney problems diagnosed, the cat was vomiting a lot, and lethargic. The cat is around 10, I have been reading that they can never recover, is this true, and is she likely to have not much time left?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

You are correct that kidney damage cannot be cured. That said, we can manage kidney cats and support them such that they do enjoy a good quality of life even after diagnosis.

Now you noted this cat was vomiting and lethargic, if the vet thinks this is secondary to severe kidney disease (and nothing else), then they may need to treat this cat with IV fluids and injectable anti-nausea treatment. This will flush out the toxins and lower those kidney values that were tested. If they can get the levels low enough, this kitty will start to feel better and medical management (ie Semintra, Fortekor, phosphate binders) +/- a low protein diet would be indicated to keep her stable.

Overall, it isn't a case of them never recovering. Instead, kidney disease is a chronic progressive organ failure that will worsen with time. But if a cat responds to treatment, they can live for months to years with this disease. Of course, if she has very high kidney levels, is sick with this, and they don't treat; then she likely only has days to weeks left.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much, the cat is being kept at the vet's over the weekend, and I forgot to mention that she had a temperature and is now on antibiotics.

could it be poisoning of some sort, eg cleaning fluid ect? If so, would then recover full kidney health or the damage be permenent?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome,

If she has a fever and is being treated with antibiotics, this does suggest an infection not poisoning. Without reading her vet's notes, I cannot appreciate if they suspect a kidney based infection but if they do then treatment for this could improve he kidney situation and we could see that normalize for her. It is just a case of how much of her current kidney disease seen on the bloods is due to inflammation secondary to infection and how much is due to actual organ dysfunction. The more due to infection, the better her chances for recovery with treatment.

All the best,
Dr. B.