Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience.
14018973

male cat, 9yrs, has lump/swelling on side of neck just below

Customer Question

male cat, 9yrs, has lump/swelling on side of neck just below ear. painful for him. clearly unwell. refuses food + drink. dry nose. keeps swallowing as if feeling sick. began earlier today. he was fine this morning. y/day he ate a bird.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Jinx. With a cat that has a swelling / lump in that area that is painful and it is making them not feel well enough to eat / drink, there has to be a strong suspicion that it could be an abscess. Could he have been in a fight with another cat and bit in that area and it caused an abscess to happen? Could he have eaten something that actually poked its way out of his neck, I've seen one case where a cat swallowed a needle and it got stuck in the throat and migrated out to cause a swelling similar to this. The best thing to do is to get him to your vet for them to check him over and to most likely aspirate that swelling to find out what it is. If it is an abscess, it needs to be lanced, drained and flushed. A course of antibiotics is then needed to resolve this. At home, there really isn't anything you can do except to try and keep him quiet, have food and water available, and get him to your vet when you can.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
MANY thanks Dr Bruce. I valued your expert advice and you will be pleased to know that Jinx cat is now much better and eating well again. also to help him, I have fed him mashed tuna in brine and mashed salmon with juice. swelling has now gone down and he is no longer in pain, eating normally again and he is happy. it is good to have been able to contact an expert online especially when I was concerned. many thanks again
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
I'm very glad to hear that Jinx is back to normal! That is great. I hope everything continues to go well for him. If any other questions come up, feel free to ask! Give him a good ear scratch for me!