Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Our cat meow has gone strange squeaky and quiet

Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.I'm sorry that Rocky is having this issue. It sounds like he may have developed laryngitis which is either going to be a primary condition or secondary to something else (the more common of the two).Any irritation to the throat which might cause inflammation and/or swelling of the structures in the back of the throat could be responsible for a change in his meow.Infections such as Upper Respiratory Infections (aka Feline Flu), ingestion of irritating substances (such as grass), inhalation of irritating vapors are all possible causes.Unless he is showing other symptoms such as lethargy or disinterest in food or difficulty breathing, then a vet visit at this time is not necessary. I would just monitor him since his voice should return in about a week or so.I might feed him very soft food (if he likes it) so that the throat doesn't become more irritated, though. I hope this helps and that his voice returns to normal soon. Deb