Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat has one ear that doesn't stand upright anymore it is

Customer Question

My cat has one ear that doesn't stand upright anymore it is bent at the tip and floppy, she play fights with her brother all the time and chases bees, she got stung twice last week, do you think he damaged it and will it return to normal or is it something else more serious I should get checked out?
Category: Cat
Expert:  DrJessicaO replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
My name is***** and I will help to answer your question. Can you check to ensure that Biscuit's pupils are symmetric, that there is no facial or eye drooping, and are you able to determine if she can hear you appropriately? Is there any blood or discharge from the inner part of the ear? Is Biscuit walking normally with no staggering, circling, or other issues?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin

I'll follow up for Dr. Jessica for you. If the only abnormality you can see is that floppy tip, the cartilage in that pinnae (ear flap) has been weakened or fractured by simple trauma or perhaps infection associated with trauma such as would be seen with an infected scratch or cat bite. The inflammation associated with an envenomation (bee sting) would abate leaving a normal ear tip. The inflammation associated with trauma may leave the tip bent. The inflammation associated with infection would need Biscuit's vet's attention. For example, a bite wound abscess might need lancing, draining, flushing with an antimicrobial solution, and a systemic antibiotic.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.