Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My cat has one ear that no longer stands upright it is bent

My cat has one ear that no longer stands upright it is bent and floppy at the tip, she play fights a lot with her brother as they are only 9 months old, is this something that will return to normal or is it like this now. Also is this the cause do you think or could it be something else?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned as your kitty has a bent ear flap that is floppy at the tip.
Cartilage is the support structure inside the ear flap (pinna) that keeps it stiff and upright. It sounds like the cartilage in her ear has been damaged and once that happens it rarely will stand up again, the change is usually permanent.
Common reasons for this to happen include trauma, (although unless the play is very rough and there is a severe bite that draws blood ear cartilage is normally flexible enough not to break with just play), which includes repeated scratching or rubbing due to mites or a bacterial or fungal infection or fleas, or a genetic predisposition (for example Scottish Folds and their mixes).
Since this is new for her I would have her examined by her veterinarian to make sure she doesn't have an ear infection, mites or fleas.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

They play fight very rough and she tend to come off worse, also I have fleaed her 3 weeks ago and she plays with bees, she had two stings on her head the other week, would a bee sting do it, I just have to arrange a day off work If i go to the vets.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Yes, absolutely a bee sting and the subsequent inflammation and rubbing of her ear because of that could lead to broken cartilage. If she doesn't have any inflammation or debris in that ear and she isn't rubbing it now then an ear infection is less likely. I would just have it looked at the next time she sees her veterinarian for something else if that is the case.