Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat is on steroids and we think she had asma it is terrible

Customer Question

my cat is on steroids and we think she had asma it is terrible when she has an atac wat can I do to help her she is so scared she messed herself
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. If Snowy is suffering break-through asthma attacks in spite of being administered corticosteroids, dosing of the steroids - both frequency and amount need to be re-evaluated. Adding a bronchodilator to Snowy's therapy may be necessary as well.

Typical recommendations are for prednisolone to be administered at 1-2 mg/kg every 12 hours for 5-10 days before tapering the dose over at least 2 months (e.g., reducing at weekly intervals until 0.5 mg/kg every second day). Snowy may do better dosed with inhaled corticosteroid such as fluticasone +/- salbutamol (a bronchodilator) by means of an MDI (meter dosed inhaler) which should be discussed with her vet. Finally, both an oral and inhaled bronchodilator may prevent her break through attacks.

I believe that you're asking what you can do if Snowy has an attack. These attacks should be considered emergencies and addressed by an on-call/ER vet who understands that minimal handling of Snowy is important at these times. Supplemental oxygen is administered in a cage or by mask and a potent bronchodilator such as terbutaline is administered by needle or, alternatively, a combination of salbutamol and albuterol can be administered with an MDI.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.