Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 20 year old cat is sick immediately after eating - this

Customer Question

My 20 year old cat is sick immediately after eating - this has been three weeks - she looks well and coat is shiny.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin

I become alarmed when a 20 year old just looks at me funny. At her age any symptom can represent life-threatening disorder. Her vomiting as you've described can result from too many disorders to list in this venue but primary gastrointestinal malignancy and inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) as well as systemic problems such as hyperthyroidism should be considered at her age.

Pragmatically speaking, I'm going to provide hospice care for such a pet. I'll perform a basic diagnostic panel of blood and urine tests including a T4 (total thyroid) blood test checking for the very common age-related hyperthyroidism and treat predicated upon the findings of testing. Malignancies are a moot point because I'm not going to address them at 20 years of age. The best scenarios are that she would respond nicely to methimazole administered twice daily if she were hyperthyroid or to metronidazole administered once or twice daily if she were treated presumptively for IBD.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish and tell me if you think the above care makes sense to you.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a week for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.