Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

Can severe kidney disease in an older indoor cat be caused

Can severe kidney disease in an older indoor cat be caused by her owner NEVER changing its litter to the point that the litter actually hardens? The owner has 3 cats using the same box and doesn't even scoop the urine or feces out of it. This cat has been diagnosed with kidney disease and has lost tons of weight. She is about 15 yrs. old. So sad!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Allie and kidney disease. Please let me start by saying how sorry I am to hear about this awful situation. I can understand why you're so upset, and I think the situation is very sad, too.
While it's true that these sound like very unhygienic conditions, the filthy litterbox is NOT likely to be the cause of kidney disease in a 15-year-old cat.
In fact, kidney disease is extremely common in 15-year-old cats even when they've received the best of care throughout their lives.
I hope this information is helpful, to start with. I'll send this off now, but rest assured I'm here to continue the conversation.