Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

After eating any amount of food, strong abdominal pains occur

After eating any amount of food, strong abdominal pains occur and she is not able to walk as her muscles seem to pull at the back of her stomach. Her right side seems to swell too. I thought it might be the spleen but maybe the intestines?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today
How long has Lisa had these signs?
You mentioned other remedies were used, what were these?
Does she have any vomiting?
How are her stools?
What testing has her vet done at this stage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Lisa has had these signs for about 2wks. She seems to get over them if she doesn't eat and rushes around like her usual self. She doesn't have any vomiting. I don't know about her stools but when she is walking about, she does go to the loo - being a private cat she does this outside under bushes and out of sight.

The vet hasn't done any testing at this time as I didn't think Lisa was up to it initially. She would be now and I am happy to take her for an x-ray now that she is fitter in her self.

Homeopathic remedies used: Berberis; ceanothus; hypericum; belladonna; narayani War; Pyrogen; hepar sulf; nux-v

Lisa has just walked into my study having been curled up in her basket. She seems to walk freely then something catches her every so often. A real brain teaser.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Marlene,

Now my concern is that if her signs are ongoing and relapse when treatments are stopped, then those treatments are symptomatically helpful (ie Metacam is a pain relief and therefore is managing the pain when in use) but not addressing the underlying cause of her signs. Therefore, this is a situation we would want to look into deeper since she cannot tell us why eating is causing her so much GI distress and until we know, we just cannot treat this properly to clear for her.

In regards ***** ***** to do at this stage, an xray could be helpful but I would note that an ultrasound may be a better choice. The reason is because xray isn't great for showing changes in soft tissue. And ultrasound would allow you to see all her abdominal organs and appreciate any enlargement (where organ enlargement could compress the stomach to trigger these types of signs), any diffuse changes or thickening of the stomach wall or intestines (which could be related to IBD but also cancers like lymphoma), any signs that her pancreas is inflamed, and any sinister changes (ie masses, obstructions, etc). As well, though unlikely the issue here, ultrasound will let you check the spleen size. But again, we'd be more concerned with issues compressing or involving the stomach or intestines for Lisa. Furthermore, even though it means having a shaved belly, ultrasound is usually well tolerated in cats and often they won't need to be sedated (as they would for xray). Therefore, this would be a good next step (+/- bloods if there was any worry about underlying organ dysfunction as well) for Lisa.

Overall, her signs just raise some worries that there is compromise to the stomach and/or intestines. As I noted, this can be a focal issue (ie inflammation, IBD, ulcers/gastritis secondary to kidney disease, tumors, etc) or secondary to something else compressing the GI (ie enlarged organs near by, again masses have to be a consideration at her age). Therefore, at this point and with her relapse when treatment is stopped, it would be ideal to have her vet take some further diagnostic steps. Xray could be an option but do speak to her vet about ultrasound instead. That way we can visualize and diagnose which of the above concerns is behind her signs so that we can treat and manage this properly for her.

Please take care,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you I had not thought of ultra sound testing and like the idea better than an x-ray. I will pursue that avenue forthwith. It would be good to know the nature of the beast we are up against!

I will revert if I need any further information from you.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome, Marlene.

I absolutely agree that it is best to know what we are tackling, so that we can do so effectively for Lisa. And I do think an ultrasound can provide us a lot more information in this situation to allow us to do so for her.

Please do let me know how you both get on,
Dr. B.