Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Fur hair loss, mild but more than molting.( britsh short hair)

fur hair loss, mild but more than molting.( britsh short hair) no other symptoms
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me: Is T Pau developing bald spots where she is losing hair?If so, where on her body? Are you seeing her grooming more then usual?Does she scratch or itch more then usual?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

slightly more scratching , not bald but less fur around back leg joint. thank yoy

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, Have you treated her for fleas in the past month (just since they can bite and run, which can still trigger itchiness even if they are gone)? Is she only targeting her back legs? Any change to her diet in the month or two before this started?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

has been treated with frontline also wormed. no change in diet. Do not think back legs are target but fur loss seems to be generally all over when I comb her.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** to note, I would be wary of the Frontline. We are seeing increasing amounts of flea resistance to this product. This means that we can see fleas bite cats on the treatment and that is all it takes to start off an allergic reaction (since the cats are actually allergic to the flea saliva and not the flea itself). Now if we are seein hair thinning without changes to the skin; we'd be most concerned about a potential allergy triggering her increased grooming and hair loss. As I am sure you can appreciate, this can be triggered by a range of possible allergens (ie diet protein, flea saliva, pollen, dust mites, etc). Therefore, in this case, I would note that you may want to starting ruling issues out and settling her skin by trialling her on an antihistamines with her. These can help settle allergic skin reactions and decrease general itchiness and may just be enough to help give her some relief (and it can help with any allergy cause). There are a number we can use in cats but often we will use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/diphenhydramine-benadryl/page1.aspx). A low dose (ie. 0.25mg per pound of her body weight twice daily) can just be enough to break that itchiness cycle, and give her skin the chance in needs to settle. We like to keep the dose low in kitties, as they can have drowsiness with this medication (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your kitties have any pre-existing conditions or are on any other medication without speaking to your vet. Just to note, if you find that her itching or skin signs are severe and too much for an antihistamine, we do sometimes find that we need to use long acting steroid injections to just break that allergy cycle. Overall, based on your history of her signs, skin based diseases (bacterial infection, fungal infections, etc) are less likely. Instead, we'd be most concerned about a possible low grade allergy causing her increased grooming which is resulting in her increased hair loss and thinning. Therefore, do consider the above for her to address her signs and get her settled. I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.