Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Good Evening, Our 16 year old Persian has not eaten since

Good Evening,
Our 16 year old Persian has not eaten since having blood test done on Tuesday. He was diagnosed with kidney disease by vet and given Semintra once daily and Kaminox twice a day. He is drinking water but refusing all his favourites. We are extremely worried.
Anxiously awaiting your reply.
many Thanks. Penny
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, Penny. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I am afraid that appetite loss is not uncommon to kidney disease. The reason we see this for kitties with this condition is because as the kidney toxins rise, it can cause GI upset and nausea via uremic gastritis and actual uremic ulcers of the mouth and throat (which can lead to them being to sore to eat). In regards ***** ***** you can do tonight, you will be a wee bit limited as most of our kidney safe medications for GI upset are prescription only. Still, you can potentially give your lad a small dose of over the counter Kaolin (0.5-1ml) to coat his stomach and throat to try and settle his stomach. If you do not have this on hand, then you will just need to monitor until his vet is open or consider phoning their after hours care to get this addressed for him sooner. Once his vet can see him, they can determine which concern is triggering his signs. If his kidney values were very high before, then it may be best to have him admitted for IV fluids to flush the kidney toxins out and reduce his nausea that way. Otherwise, the vet can treat him with injectable anti-nausea medication and send you home with liquid Zantac (which is a low enough strength for cats, where our OTC tablets are much to high to use here) or Famotidine to manage his nausea. Otherwise, if they were to find uremic ulcers and oral pain triggering his signs, they could dispense kidney safe pain relief (ie Temgesic) to manage that for him. Overall, this is not an uncommon complication of kidney disease in kitties. In this case, his signs are going to be most likely related to nausea or oral/throat discomfort. Therefore, in this case, we can potentially coat his stomach with Kaolin. But otherwise, we would need to consider having him seen now or in the morning so that his vet can pinpoint which of these complications are causing his signs and address it for him as I have noted above. Normal 0 Finally, just to note in case you were keen to have him seen now, most veterinary practices here do have contingency plans for emergency care for their patients even when they are not open. Therefore, it is worth ringing the practice. They will likely have a message to direct you on how to contact their out of hours service. And if you have any issue getting ahold of your vet's after hours service, you can check other local vets via the RCVS Register (HERE) or Vets Now (LINK) who are open all nights/weekends. In any case, if you wanted to get him checked out sooner then there are options to have him seen today too. Please take care,Dr. B.