Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My cat came home with an injury on his back where tail joins.

Customer Question

My cat came home with an injury on his back where tail joins. all hair taken off 2cm by 2cm. It appears to have a few small wounds and the area seems swollen and at times pus oozing from wounds. This happened about 2 - 3 weeks ago and I have put disinfectant and Fucidin ointment on it and the area is getting smaller I think. Should I be worried about this? I'm only presuming it's from a fight. There are no other bald patches.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about your cat. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help. This does sound like the type of infection we see from cat fights and bites, and the location is typical of where cats get bitten (if they are trying to get away). I usually treat these infections with either oral or injectable antibiotics; putting the antibiotics just on the skin may not penetrate deep enough. If pus is oozing out, the infection may be deep. It might be best to have him get an injection of antibiotics, or get liquid or pill form of antibiotic for him if this is not clearing up after 2 to 3 weeks. Let me know what else I can help with or answer.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the good rating. How is your cat doing?
Rebecca