Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

We have two cats who are brother and sister and have lived

Customer Question

We have two cats who are brother and sister and have lived together all their lives. They are now 4 years old. The have a cat flap and can go outside during the day.
The male cat can be aggressive to his sister and frequently chases her. She has started weeing and pooing in the house. Any suggestions how to stop this behaviour??
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.From what you have told me, it appears that your cat is suffering from some type of stress that has caused this inappropriate elimination. This could be due to a territorial issue from your other cat or some other stress. It is not unusual for 2 cats that are in the same household to develop subtle territory issues between them. The first thing to do is to have your vet examine your cat to be sure there is not a medical reason for this behavior. If this is ruled out, the next thing you need to do is to purchase from any pet store a product called Feliway. This is a feline pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will discourage this bad behavior. Follow the directions on the bottle. Next, make sure to change all litter boxes to different places especially where there is little traffic. Keep these boxes extremely clean.Try using different types of litter and make sure to clean these areas with an odor eliminator such as Nature’s Miracle.Use aluminum foil or double sided tape in the problem areas which may discourage using these spots.If this is not sufficient, your vet has medication that can help with this problem and, if used along with the Feliway, hopefully, will be successful. These medications are antianxiety drugs such as Fluoxetine or Clomipramine. Here is a website that has more tips:www.petplace.com/cats/inappropriate-elimination/page1.aspxClick CLOSE WINDOWS to get into this site.http://pets.webmd.com/cats/guide/cat-behavior-problem-medications Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hiya, I'm afraid that is no help. We've been using feliway for months with no improvement. Also the cats are free to come and go all day so we do not use cat litter. We have had the cats checked by our local vet and they are both fit and healthy. Do you have any other thoughts.
Many thanks.
Kevin
HI Kevin....then your next step is the meidcation....this has been proven effective in these cases where nothing else has worked....

ASk your vet about Fluoxetine or Clomipramine to help ....your gal is so stressed due to the aggression of the male that medication to decrease her anxiety will help her to get back to her normal ways. Since you have troed all other holistic type treatments, this is the next step.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hiya, it certainly does seem that it's Lucy who is causing the problem by being too anxious. Her brother Ben ignores her when she is calm. It's only when she looks scared and runs that he chases her. There has been no change at home she just seems to have got more and more anxious over the last 6 months. For no reason. Given there seems to be no underlying cause, would Lucy need to take medication for the rest of her life. Is there anything to do environmentally to help her. Would she be better separated from her brother at night. We feel guilty locking her in a room overnight but we often hear Ben chasing her at night and come down to fecies on carpet in the morning.
Thanks for your help.
Kevin
HI Kevin....with the medication, it only needs to be given for a few months until the behavior has changed permanently. It probably will not hurt to keep Ben away from Lucy in the evenings to decrease her stress...try this first to see if that will help. The medication is worth it, though and it is nothing to fear. Poor little Lucy needs some help,, Kevin.
Thank you so much, Kevin, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I really hope this helps.

Have a wonderful day!!