Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My cat is 20+ but lately has lost weight drinks a lot of water

my cat is 20+ but lately has lost weight drinks a lot of water and seems to want to eat all the time
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- Any pre existing medical conditions?
2- Has she been seen by a vet for this problem?
3- Any other symptoms?
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1 no 2 no 3 no

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Jane, a very common cause in older cats for weight loss is an over active thyroid (hyperthyroidism) despite normal food intake, sometimes cats will even eat more. Having an increase in thyroid hormone production increases the metabolism causing the weight loss. Other possible causes are: liver or kidney disease, diabetes and even cancer to name a few causes. I would place kidney disease and hyperthyroidism high on the list of possible causes.
In this case, on history alone it will be difficult to determine the exact underlying cause. Bubble will need to have a blood test (chemistry profile, T4 & CBC) and urinalysis as initial screening test by your family veterinarian. Treatment will be determined by clinical and diagnostic findings.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter