Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

I have 16 cats and they all get along very well they were all

Customer Question

I have 16 cats and they all get along very well they were all introduced as kittens and grew up together. An old Gentleman I know has gone into hospital and I have taken in his male cat I already have 12 girls and 4 boys and this is the first fully grown cat to come into the house. The boys even though they are not fighting one of them is weeing around the house, something that has never happened before. how can I stop him doing this? All of them have been neutured and spayed.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

From what you have told me, it appears that your cat is suffering from some type of stress that has caused this inappropriate elimination. This could be due to a territorial issue or some other stress. With so many cats, they do develop territory issues that end up with this bad behavior. The first thing to do is to have your vet examine Earl Gray to be sure there is not a medical reason for this behavior. If this is ruled out, the next thing you need to do is to purchase from any pet store a product called Feliway. This is a feline pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will discourage this bad behavior. Follow the directions on the bottle. Next, make sure to change all litter boxes to different places especially where there is little traffic. Keep these boxes extremely clean.

Try using different types of litter and make sure to clean these areas with an odor eliminator such as Nature’s Miracle.

Use aluminum foil or double sided tape in the problem areas which may discourage using these spots.

If this is not sufficient, your vet has medication that can help with this problem and, if used along with the Feliway, hopefully, will be successful. These medications are antianxiety drugs such as Fluoxetine or Clomipramine. Here is a website that has more tips:
www.petplace.com/cats/inappropriate-elimination/page1.aspx

Click CLOSE WINDOWS to get into this site.

http://pets.webmd.com/cats/guide/cat-behavior-problem-medications

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****