Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Poor appetite and always seeking a drink preferably rainwater.

Poor appetite and always seeking a drink preferably rainwater. Eager to eat but then walks away or seeks something different. Generally lethargic and does not go out much.
(Female 12 years +)
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- Is it fair to say she is drinking more than usual?
2- How long has this been going on?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The desire to drink does seem to be increasing.

Particularly a problem for about a year now.

No known previous condition apart from the usual common ailments.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
David, when we see an increase in water consumption, decrease appetite and lethargy in cats it is often an indication of an underlying medical problem. In an older cat a very common cause is kidney disease. Other possible causes are: Hyperthyroidism (over production of thyroid hormone), infections, tumors, etc. to name a few causes.
Unfortunately in this case we are very limited as to what you can do at home. Pinky will need to be seen by family veterinarian for a hands on examination, blood work (chemistry profile & CBC) and urinalysis as initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter