Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Can a cat that was formerly an Indoor cat,and has an unacceptable

Customer Question

Can a cat that was formerly an Indoor cat,and has an unacceptable amount of hair shedding,revert to proper seasonal shedding,as in normal cats who go outside on a regular basis,if allowed and encouraged to now go outside?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. To answer your question directly, yes..absolutely. The hair cycle, and thus the haircoat, are controlled by photoperiod, ambient temperature, nutrition, hormones, general state of health, genetics, and poorly understood intrinsic factors. Hair growth responds predominantly to photoperiod, however, and, to a lesser extent, to ambient temperature and an outside cat will be exposed to a more natural photoperiod and change in temperature. Cats in temperate latitudes such as in the UK may shed noticeably in the spring and fall. Hair follicle activity, and thus hair growth rate, is maximal in summer and minimal in winter. It's the cats that are exposed to several hours of artificial light (e.g., housed indoors) that shed, sometimes profusely, throughout the year.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
You may receive an inappropriate follow up sent by the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.
Please disregard the info request.