Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My cat recently had a bout with diarrhea. It lasted about 3

My cat recently had a bout with diarrhea. It lasted about 3 days. I began giving him acidophilus and are much more solid now. He is still very active and his appetite has not decreased any. But recently I have noticed his 3rd eyelid is out on both eyes and has been for a couple days. Any idea what could be causing this. Oh, I think the diarrhea may have come from a worming med that I have him.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand your concern about Ryder's third eyelids being more prominent than we see with most kitties for the last couple days.
The third eyelid is a protective eyelid and can rise up in response to irritation in the eye such as a foreign body, getting an irritant sprayed in his eyes, a scratch on the cornea (clear outer part of the eye) or an upper respiratory infection. In these cases you will see a discharge from the eye, clear, yellow or green, you may see redness of the white around the eye and sometimes the kitty will rub the eye or sneeze repeatedly.
The third eyelid can also rise up secondary to a syndrome called Horner's Syndrome. This is secondary to irritation of the nerve that innervates the upper eyelid, some eye muscles as well as the third eyelid. In these cases the eye may look sunken as well and the pupil will be smaller in that eye. It would be very uncommon to see this in both eyes but possible. See this picture: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_dhJcewUrnkc/TGVco4_fjhI/AAAAAAAAAkw/2ulqA1t_S9c/s400/cathorner's.jpg
In your fellow's case since both eyes are affected and he has a recent history of diarrhea his eyelids are likely raised secondary to intestinal irritation or parasites. In this case there won't be any discharge, the kitty will be bright and normal otherwise and treating the intestinal upset or parasites will cause the eyelids to return to normal in several week's time.
If your kitty goes outside or comes into contact with other kitties or is from a shelter the two most likely scenarios for her third eyelids to be up consistently would be intestinal parasites, a gastrointestinal viral or bacterial infection, or an upper respiratory infection since all are commonly seen in cats, especially those that go outside and are exposed to other kitties.
If he seems normal otherwise I would try giving him some time since you just treated him for gastrointestinal parasites and watching him for any other symptoms. In all likelihood he will be normal in a few week's time.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.